Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The Astounding Wolf-Man

It was Free Comic Book Day last Saturday, so I expect that all of you ran out to your local comic shop to pick up some free swag, right? Right. If you did, you may have picked up the first issue of Robert Kirkman's latest offering from Image Comics, "The Astounding Wolf-Man". For those of you not in the know, Kirkman is the guy who's written recent classics like Invincible, The Walking Dead, and Battle Pope. Yes, that last one is as silly (and sacrilegious) as it sounds.

There's not much to write home about, as it's your typical werewolf story: man gets bitten, man changes into wolf-man at the full moon, wolf-man gets trained by a vampire (wha?). Since it was free I thought I'd take a look, but I don't think there's anything here that's going to make me spend $3+ every month. I probably enjoyed the art more than the story. It has a bold, angular style and some nice monochromatic pallettes for the wolf-man pages. This one in particular makes me think of Ralph from Rampage scaling one of the many buildings.


I wish I had a scanner. If I did, I would show you that yesterday's prediction of a bunny being next came true. I couldn't help but laugh when the wolf-man bites the head off of some poor unsuspecting rabbit while roaming the countryside. You gotta love coincidences.

Anyway, my advice is to skip it. I'll try to talk about a better comic next time.

2 comments:

Urrvano said...

I would love to see a copy of Battle Pope! Sounds sinfully fun.

Brian said...

Hey Urrv, I'll hook you up with some Battle Pope as soon as I remember to bring some in to work.