Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Don't Fly Too Close to the Sun

I made a special trip to St. Charles after work today. Last night, I "won" (those quotes are for you, Tony) an auction for Kid Icarus for the NES on eBay. It went for pretty cheap compared to the $20-$30 this game typically goes for, plus I didn't have to pay for shipping. I was planning on picking up the manual by itself later since it wasn't mentioned in the auction anywhere, but it came with one anyway. Too bad it looks like it's been partially eaten by a dog and then taped back together. Oh well, I guess that's why it wasn't advertised.

After cleaning it for awhile, I got it to fire up. Turns out I've never played or even seen anyone play this game, but people tell me that it's one of Nintendo's finest. I tried it long enough to discover that you get one life, and when it's gone you get a whopping Metroid-esque password. Looks both fun and hard, the best of both worlds. We'll have to see if I'm able to build up any skill at it.

In the meantime, I've been working on Konami's classic horizontal shooter Gradius for the last week or so. With or without the Konami code (in its first appearance on the NES), I can only make it to level 3. I need to develop a better way of fending off the giant Moai heads and their oh so deadly ion guns. Don't ask me why the ancient statues from Easter Island are an enemy in this game, I have no idea.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, when is your next video game party, Brian? I want to play Kid Ic again- look out for the eggplant witches!
-Carol

Brian said...

I'm waiting for another game or two to roll in through the mail before setting up the next shindig.

Speaking of which... I really am trying to find a copy of Mighty Bomb Jack that meets my standards, but those are proving to be few and far between.

After I have what I want, Brett and I need to work out a time when he can host on my behalf. I'm shooting for sometime in the middle of July.