Monday, June 11, 2007

Our First Houseguest

For the first half of last week, our friend Andrea visited us all the way from Hoboken, NJ. The digital camera is still in a box somewhere, so I have no actual proof of this. You'll just have to take my word for it. I was working most of the time, but she and Meaghan have known each other since 7th grade so they didn't really need me anyway. Even so, we managed to do quite a bit.

Here are the highlights:

- Shopping for furniture at Ikea: I didn't go, but my misgivings about that place proved true. Meaghan and Andrea picked out loads of stuff on the showroom floor, but arrived at the buying floor to discover that only a single piece of the furniture that they had picked out was actually available. The rest had been discontinued, and they refused to sell the floor model. Which begs the question: why keep it on the showroom floor if you have none to sell?

- Went to see Waitress at the Lagoon: Great little romantic comedy of sorts chock full of interesting characters. I highly recommend it to everyone as it's now showing at regular theaters, too. If you're at all a fan of Nathan Fillion (Mal from Firefly/Serenity), you should love it. Best use of Cake in a soundtrack ever.

- Watched a lot of the first season of the Gilmore Girls: Turns out that Andrea's only pretty much seen episodes of this from season 4 onward and we happen to have seasons 1-3 on DVD, so it was fated. I'm not entirely sure what I like about this show, as I seem to enjoy it in spite of itself. As a general rule, I dislike the fast talking, the constant pop culture references, and I don't find either of the two main characters all that sympathetic. I must like the supporting characters.

- Learned we can get to the airport in about 30 mins without walking much more than a block in total, all for the low price of $1.50 per person. How cool is that?

A good time was had by all. Hopefully, we'll be able to see her (and her husband Mike) again before too long.

No comments: