Thursday, July 19, 2007

Spicing Up the Morning Routine

Speaking of the Detroit Tigers, I've started getting back into them over the last couple weeks because I've developed a new morning routine. I used to roll out of bed, eat breakfast, shower, and start working, but now I've found a better way to kick off the day.

It took us awhile, but as of last weekend we've managed to officially complete a room in our new place, the kitchen. Everything has been unpacked from boxes and filed away in a drawer, shelf, or cabinet. (I would provide pictures of the house as we round it into shape, but I have no idea where the cable to connect our digital camera to the computer is -- I'll have to buy a replacement.) Most of the other rooms are close (80% or so), but this is the first that's completely done.

Now if anyone is not familiar with the way our kitchen's operated in the past, let me fill you in. We haven't had one of them new fangled dish washy thingers since we moved out of Quarry Ridge in Jan 2003, so the goal has usually been to see how expertly we can pile all of our dirty dishes on the various counters and side tables without breaking any of them. Two weeks of this is typically followed by a back-breaking day that we like to call "Dish Armageddon" in which they all find their way back into a cabinet to restart the cycle. (Coincidentally, we tend to have a lot of "Laundry Armageddons", too, especially when it requires a trip to the laundromat.)

With the new kitchen looking so fresh and clean, I decided that I wouldn't stand for it this time around. So now, my new morning routine consists of rolling out of bed at 6:00 (when Meaghan gets up for class), having breakfast with my lady friend, taking Z dog out for a morning run in the yard, and doing the previous day's dishes while listening to the most recent Tiger game on MLB's Gameday Audio on my laptop. I usually have time for all this, other random chores, and taking a shower all before 9:00 when I start my work day.

It's only been a week, but so far so good. Hooray for me and clean kitchens!

4 comments:

Nate said...

Not a bad time to be listening to Tiger games. I've been out of the Cubs' loop for a while, but I see their making a push for it. How 'bout a Cubs v. Tigers world series?

Brian said...

I'd be down with a rematch of the 1945 series, as long as the Cubs get to continue their epic futility. I don't think I could deal with the Cubs and Red Sox both finally winning a title in the same decade.

Momma D said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe you are writing things about the Tigers that talk about how great they are. Do you realize what you did? Bad, bad, bad things can only come from this. There are three rules about being a Tiger Townie:
1) Do not mention Tigers and anything related to postseason play as a possibility until the postseason.
2) If you do happen to be watching or listening to them and they need some help at the plate or on the mound, you must leave the room and take a shower. It will be much different when you are done.
3) Expect the unexpected... nothing is every safe.

Brian said...

The sphere of influence definitely works differently out here. The more I pay attention, the better they seem to do.

2 examples:
1) The aforementioned sweep of the Twins - I watched all of those games on TV.
2) I was tracking the night half of the doubleheader with the ChiSox Tuesday with MLB Gameday, and I went to bed safe in the knowledge that a 7-1 lead in the 5th inning would hold up. Boy, was that wrong.

It's only a matter of time before Double-D snags some bullpen help, right? Sheesh.