Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Nicole Atkins and the Sea

I don't normally talk a lot about music (as evidenced by the fact that I had to create a new category just to write this), mostly because although I like music I often just don't know what to say about it. I'm going to do my best to tell you about a new artist that Meaghan and I saw a couple weekends ago at the 7th Street Entry in Minneapolis.

The band we actually went to see is The Raveonettes, a Danish noise surf duo with 60s sensibilities. They're one of my favorite groups, and did not disappoint. If you want to hear what they sound like, check out their old Columbia Records site or their MySpace page. I'm not here to tell you about them, though.

One of the groups that opened for them was Nicole Atkins and the Sea. Nicole Atkins is a singer/songwriter from just outside Asbury Park, NJ (home of Bruce Springsteen), and the Sea is her Brooklyn, NY based backing band. From the very first note to the end of their rocking set closer, we were completely blown away by her voice. In reading I've done since the show, I've seen it compared to greats like Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn, and Roy Orbison, and they're not lying. It was completely refreshing to hear someone who can actually sing, unlike most of the weak-voiced waifs that litter today's pop landscape.

We bought her EP "Bleeding Diamonds" at the show, and it's almost as good as the live performance was. Unfortunately, the vocals and arrangements are a little more subdued on the studio recording than they were in person. Rather than have me ramble on poorly, here are a few places you can go to check out their sound.

Official Site - click the Launch Jukebox record in the upper right
MySpace
YouTube - music videos & videos of live performances (unfortunately the YouTube quality obscures the depth of her voice)

To hopefully get the full live sound, check them out on Letterman tonight (Tuesday - 10/30). If you like what you hear, think about getting their major label debut "Neptune City" through whatever means you normally acquire music. It's out in stores today.

1 comment:

Urrvano said...

So I went and listened to "The way it is" over lunch. It started out like one of the old James Bond theme songs. As it progressed it made me think, so this is what it would sound like if Roy Orbison or Elvis (circa suspicious minds)sang a Bond song. Now I am sure most people wouldn't think that is a comment, but I really liked it. "Party's Over" was good too, but more modern sounding if that makes sense.

Thanks for introducing me to Nicole . I am always open to music experiences.

Keep those 45's spinnin'