Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Let the Madness Begin

I don't know if anyone else is the same way, but every 2 years when the Olympics roll around I find myself trying to watch as much of it as is humanly possible. Of course, I usually only make it through the first weekend before I realize there's no way I'm going to be able to watch as much as I want. So I'm going to try to be selective this year to prevent the burnout. Forget the "gripping" human interest stories, the pageantry of the opening ceremonies, or watching the "Redeem Team" punish some hapless African nation. I'm just going to take the opportunity to enjoy some of the world's lesser known sports that only get this chance to shine on the international stage.

NBC isn't helping my cause any, though. On a combined 5 channels (more if you count HD & Telemundo), they're going to be offering an eye-popping 3600+ hours of coverage. That's apparently more than all of the Summer Games from 1960-2004 combined, which frankly is ridiculous. A large portion of that is available online, too. Please help me avoid the temptation to become an Olympics zombie.


Oh, if anyone was wondering, competition began already today with opening games in the women's football competition. The US team was upset 2-0 by Norway behind the strength of two goals in the first 5 minutes. How do I know all this? I was up at 6:45 this morning to watch it, of course.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

We've got eight channels with Olympic coverage on DirecTV:
1) NBC
2) CNBC
3) MSNBC
4) USA
5) Oxygen
6) Universal HD
7) NBC Olympic Soccer Channel
8) NBC Olympic Basketball Channel
and a ninth if you include Spanish.
They've helpfully set up temporary channel numbers that are sequential (except for the normal NBC channel) for ease of channel surfing.
Of course, three of the channels are showing Brazil/South Korea women's soccer right now.

Anonymous said...

There needs to be a special channel for horse things and gymnastics so I can watch the sports that I really care about. =)

Anonymous said...

I believe Oxygen is showing all of the equestrian events and some gymnastics.

bjkail said...

This is the first year that I've spent time watching the Olympics since I left home for college, and I'm enjoying it much more than I would have expected. That said, I had the TV on in the background all day yesterday, so I'm likely to burn out soon :-).

Brian said...

4 days in and still going strong. I'm surprisingly enjoying badminton & weightlifting more than I should, and man... that swimming relay last night was awesome.

My brother is correct, Kim. You want to watch Oxygen between 5-7 every weeknight. They'll have your horses and gymnastics. Gymnastics also figures to feature heavily in the first week of primetime coverage on NBC.

Unknown said...

Basic cable here giving me 4 channels for the mainstream sports and then the laptop at the same time for the weightlifting (48kg women lifting over 2X their weight), water polo, badminton, fencing, and handball.
Sadly, or luckily, I don't work from home so I have the days off.
No basketball or futball yet, but we will see.