Thursday, September 4, 2008

Game Night?

It occurs to me that not every reader of my blog is terribly interested in my thoughts about every TV series known to the history of man, so this time around I'm going to try to break those up with posts about other things. One of my favorite things to do with friends is get together and play board games. It's a fun distraction that encourages socializing and keeps your brain active (depending on what game you're playing). Meaghan and I have over 70 different board & card games that we've somehow accumulated over the years, but unfortunately not all that many of them can be played with only 2 people.

Sure we have a standing date where we try to get out to a coffee shop about once a week to play a random edition of Trivial Pursuit, but that only goes so far. A lot of our friends live down in the Small Town where we lived before we moved to the Big City over a year ago, so we've had some trouble getting people together on a regular basis for such things lately. After one aborted attempt, we actually managed to get 3 of Meaghan's teachery friends over to our place last weekend for an assortment of games. Much fun was had by all, and statements like "we should do this more often" were uttered. I'm not holding my breath though as teachers are a notoriously busy group of people.

I perused the Internet a little bit the other day in search of ideas to help scratch my itch and came up with a couple: volunteering at a nursing home or low-cost housing complex to play games with the residents there or joining a meetup dedicated to getting together and playing games. As someone who doesn't particualrly go out of their way to meet new people, these would both take a little convincing for me to actually do them. Anyone have any experience with Meetup or volunteering in particularly urban environments?

No comments: