Monday, September 17, 2007

Great Weekend

Let me tell you about the great weekend that I just had.

Friday was my birthday, so to celebrate Meaghan and I took over the basement of the downtown Dos Amigos with 22 of our friends for a dinner party. Thanks for the wonderful turn-out everybody, I really appreciate it. I had a great time, ate good food, and even got some fun presents (comics, DVDs, lunchbox, etc.) out of the deal. We didn't bring our camera, but if you were there and you happen to have some pictures to share from the event, they could soon be featured here.

Saturday was "Get Together Day", the 6 year anniversary of when Meaghan and I started dating. Since our real anniversary fell on a Monday (today) this year, we decided to use this occasion to celebrate instead. We used our "Great Escape" package that we won in the Rochester Library's Amuzing Race, so we enjoyed a relaxing night in a suite at the Kahler Grand Hotel. I won't bother telling you what our presents for each other were, but we both managed to (sort of) integrate the traditional and modern 2nd anniversary gifts of china and cotton.

Meanwhile on Saturday, just one week after stating that I thought they wouldn't win a single game this year, my good ol' alma mater was kicking the pants off of Iowa 15-13. Apparently any sports prediction I attempt to make will quickly be proven wrong in all cases. From now on, I promise to only present the facts and offer no opinions. I'm still not confident that the 'Clones are going to win much of anything this year, but this at least prevents the first year of the Chizik era from being a complete failure.

In the NFL, the Lions managed to beat the Vikings in overtime 20-17 in what was possibly the ugliest football game I have ever seen. Play was marred by 10 turnovers, countless penalties, two potential game-winning field goal misses, and general ineptitude al over the field. A win is a win as they say, so I guess the Lions will take it, as that brings them to 2-0 in a season for the first time since who knows when. My research department tells me that since 1990 (the start of the wildcard era), 65.7% of teams starting 2-0 have made the playoffs. I expect the Lions to help decrease that number a little this year.

I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention that the Tigers swept the Twins in the dome again over the weekend. We all know what happened last time, so I'll keep my mouth shut. Big series against the Indians starts tonight. If you can watch it, please do, and be sure to root for the good guys.

1 comment:

Frank J. Varro said...

And to make the week better as you head out of the weekend, today is international Talk Like A Pirate Day!

Best



Day



Ever



Matey!


YAAARRRGGGHHHHHHH!


And Happy Birthday you smarmy wench!...

wait...