Wednesday, July 4, 2007

They Said It Couldn't Be Done

It only took ~16 hours of game play spread over four days, but I managed to beat Ghosts 'n Goblins this afternoon.

For those not in the know, G'n G is renowned as being one of the more difficult games for the NES. Funny that I started playing this because I was finding Gradius to be too difficult. There are six grueling levels, and you have to beat them each twice to rescue the Princess. Apparently the first time through the game is just an illusion created by Satan himself.

The game plays a bit like Castlevania, only you don't have a whip, and instead of a life bar your heroic knight has a mere two hit points to get him through each level. You start with a suit of armor, and if you get hit once you have to finish the rest of it in your skivvies. Luckily there's a replacement suit in at least four of the six levels.

The game truly would be impossible if it weren't for the fact that you have unlimited continues, and let me tell you... I used a bajillion of them. By today, I was getting significantly better at the game, though. It only took me one continue to reach level 5. I won't tell you how many it took to get through level 5.

Anyway, now that the Nintendo portion of my vacation is complete, it's time to move on to other things... like going to the fireworks show tonight in Powderhorn Park.

No comments: