Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Is Anybody Else Missing TV Yet?

So unless you've been living in a cave (or just don't watch a lot of TV), you probably know that the Writers Guild of America has been on strike since early November. At first, the effects on my viewing were mostly positive. New shows from the fall were given a longer time than normal to find an audience. Remarkably, only one show (Viva Laughlin) was cancelled before running out of episodes. That means that I got to see 13 episodes of a lot of things that might have otherwise been cancelled, like Journeyman, Chuck, Reaper, and Pushing Daisies.

Now that we're in the new year and episodes of nearly every program have begun to run dry, things are beginning to look down:

- There are less than 10 new shows this Spring season that aren't reality based, and most of them will only have 6 or 7 episodes
- The entire season of 24 (one of my favorite shows) has been cancelled
- The Golden Globes awards ceremony was cancelled, and the Oscars can't be very far behind
- The chance of new programming on TV next year is endangered, as no one is writing pilot episodes to be bid on by the networks

I know what you're thinking, "Brian, there are tons of other things you can be doing with your time instead of watching TV. This is good for you." That's true. I've done a lot over the past couple months that I should really write about:

- Meaghan and I used our new Walker Art Center membership to go see the amazing Frida Kahlo exhibit. If you live in the area, you have one last chance to see it this weekend before it closes.
- I've seen a ton of excellent movies lately, like Atonement, No Country for Old Men, Juno, The Golden Compass, and Bridge to Terabithia. If I never get around to talking about them individually, I recommend them to everyone.
- We started a broomball team in the Minneapolis City League with people from Meaghan's school program. We're horrible, but it's been a lot of fun.
- We got a new membership to the Minnesota Zoo. We haven't been yet, but we're planning on sponsoring one of their sun bears in February as they're one of Meaghan's favorite animals.

None of that cancels out the fact that I miss getting new episodes of my favorite shows every week. Oh well. Maybe if the strike drags on long enough, I'll learn to not miss it so much anymore.

4 comments:

Momma D said...

You've made me think, Brian. What have I been missing? What did I watch anyway? Am I going to get sucked into another season of American Idol? Are audio books in my future as I sit whirring away at my new sewing maching with the snowflake stitches? I am definitely missing 24. There is the Jane Austin series on Masterpiece Theater that just started and who can miss up the opportunity to see Colin Firth again as the inimitable Mr. Darcy in Pride & Prejudice in HD? I'm enjoying the NFL playoffs this year. The Detroit Tigers are selling out all of their season tickets and I will get most of their games on TV so I will have something to watch almost every day! And the weather will be nicer in a month and I can run again. Oh, life is grand. Thank you for reminding me.

Anonymous said...

You should take up WoW. =) It fills in the free time nicely.

Ooooh, and we should take Mike to the zoo for his birthday (February 8th) and meet your Sun Bear. We haven't been there in a while.

Brian said...

You know, I've heard that about WoW. :) I still think I'll pass. I already have a whole lot of games that I want to get around to playing.

If you're really game for the zoo, I think 2/10 is open. You're probably better off clearing that with the event coordinator, though.

Just say no to American Idol, Ma. We walked away after season 3 and haven't looked back. I'm looking forward to Tiger games again, too. I'd read that they're having to throttle down season ticket sales because they're going too fast. Crazy.

Anonymous said...

I told Mike that he now has plans on 2/10. Don't tell him what we're doing, ok?